Laboratory Technician – (3 positions) Chilumba, Karonga District and Lilongwe City
The Malawi Epidemiology and Intervention Research Unit (MEIRU) operates in Karonga District and Lilongwe City. MEIRU is conducting research programme in partnership with the Malawi Ministry of Health, the Kamuzu University of Health Sciences (KUHeS), the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and the University of Glasgow. MEIRU has an ongoing programme of demographic and infectious diseases research. Additionally, MEIRU is developing capacity in NCD research, health informatics and epidemiology and other areas, principally through forging links and partnerships with other institutions in the region to conduct multi-country studies. Research is done in highly conducive academic environments.
MEIRU seeks to recruit Laboratory Technician (3 positions), one to be based in Lilongwe city and two to be based at Chilumba in Karonga District.
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
Grade: D of our scale; salary point will depend on qualifications and experience
Accountable to: Laboratory Supervisor, Laboratory Manager, Science Programme Manager, Director.
Liaises with: Other laboratory technicians, laboratory assistants
- Diploma in Biomedical Sciences or its equivalent.
- 2 years previous experience working in a research or diagnostic laboratory
- Registered with Medical Council of Malawi
Working Hours: 08.00 am – 05.00 pm Monday to Friday. However, hours are expected to be flexible to ensure targets are achieved and may include working during weekends.
Main objective of the Post
To ensure the smooth running of the laboratory department. To independently follow laboratory protocols and ensure quality of results. To maintain a safe working environment in the workplace.
- Organizing, performing and reporting laboratory tests with minimum supervision after an agreed period of training.
- Ensuring that work is carried out accurately, precisely and economically.
- Operating and maintaining laboratory equipment.
- Supervising and training laboratory assistants and attendants.
- Supervising non-laboratory staff when present in laboratory.
- Assisting laboratory management in laboratory stock management including monthly physical stock taking of reagents and supplies.
- Ensuring proper shipping of samples in compliance with local and international regulations.
- Liaising with senior laboratory staff, field staff and data office staff as necessary to facilitate the smooth running of the project.
- Responding to queries from the data office promptly and accurately.
- Maintaining confidentiality at all times and respecting the wishes of study clients and patients.
- Maintaining study registers when appropriate.
- Assisting in assessing laboratory facilities, procedures, practices and training of personnel involved in the laboratory’s activities with regard to the quality management system.
- Establishing an internal audit program and informing the lab management of audit outcomes.
- Assisting the laboratory management in establishing and monitoring all processes and procedures in order to maintain quality management system.
- Resolving non conformities.
- Other duties as requested by management including assisting with leave cover.
- Be involved in laboratory cover during weekends and national holidays on a rota basis.
- Ensuring good representation of MEIRU in the community.
- Ensuring that all work is carried out in accordance with laboratory health and safety policy.
- Abiding by the Terms and Conditions of service at all times.
Please note that this job description is not exhaustive and duties may vary from time to time in light of changing circumstances, after consultation with the post holder.
The ideal candidate would possess the following characteristics, although it is recognised that potential applicants might fulfil each of these criteria to a greater or lesser extent:
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Good spoken and written English.
- Laboratory experience in diagnostic/research work.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Previous experience in a research laboratory.
- Experience in the field of immunology.
- Experience in the field of clinical chemistry.
- Experience in diagnostic clinical microbiology.
- Experience in Molecular biology
SALARY AND CONDITIONS OF APPOINTMENT
The post is subject to MEIRU terms and conditions of service.